Professional Moissanite Custom Supplier

$20 off orders over $500, voucher code j3dmh2vh Learn More

14K or 18K?

July 30, 2021

Gold has been divided into different types due to its different purity. When other metal materials are more, it becomes 18k gold and 14k gold. Although the purity of the two is not as good as pure gold, they are also very popular in the current market due to their hard characteristics and fashionable colors, and they are no less than gold. So what is the difference between them and which one is better?

3ct Round Moissanite Solitaire with Accent Stones Men's Ring


  1. The gold content is different:K is the unit to determine the gold content in gold jewelry. It is called Karat in English, or “K” for acronym. 14K gold means that the gold content in jewelry is 58.5%. 18K gold refers to jewelry that contains 75% gold, and the remaining 25% is other precious metals, engraved with 18K or 750 marks.
  2. Different characteristics: 18K gold ornaments not only have the precious value of gold, but also because of its perfect composition ratio, it has the advantages of strong ductility, high hardness, and changeable colors. When used in jewelry design, it can give full play to complex and exquisite creativity. Performance. 14k gold is golden in color, not rusty, not easy to corrode, and has good gloss retention. Usually, 14K gold is generally used when the hardness of jewelry is required. 14K gold has a harder texture, high toughness, and strong elasticity, and can be inlaid with various gems.
  3. The price is different: From the price point of view, 14k gold is cheaper than pure gold and 18k gold because of its lower gold content. The price is moderate and it is a more affordable choice.
  4. Different purposes: 14k gold itself has the same gorgeous golden yellow as gold, but also has the hardness that pure gold does not have. Therefore, if you choose 14k gold to customize, you can not be restricted by plain gold or inlaid stones. It is a versatile metal. Because 18K gold contains 25% of other metals, it can be made into different colors, such as white, yellow, and rose red. They are called white 18K gold, 18K gold, and 18K rose gold. Compared with 14K gold, there are many more colors.
  5. Different maintenance techniques: The maintenance method of 14K gold must first try to avoid contact with some acid and alkaline chemicals. Keep away from corrosive chemicals such as chlorine and cleaning agents. Secondly, pay attention to reasonable matching, reduce daily wear, bumps, and other damages, and extend the color life of gold; do not wipe the diamond surface of 18K gold with your hands or other skins. You can wipe it with clean paper or oil-absorbent makeup paper.

Which is better?

Because of its higher percentage of alloyed metals, 14k gold offers more resistance to wear and tear. Thus, it is ideal for everyday use and is the most popular choice for engagement rings and simple wedding bands. Those with active lifestyles should definitely consider getting 14K gold jewelry because it holds up better in sports, manual labor, and other rigorous, regular activities. 14k gold is an excellent choice for those with a more active lifestyle.

18K gold is softer than 14K, but has a richer yellow appearance, which is usually used for high-end jewelry or more delicate jewelry. Since 18K gold is almost pure, if you are allergic to nickel, jewelry made of this material will hardly cause skin irritation.

If you need a very durable ring, or if you have a limited budget, 14K gold is a better choice.